Elective Title: 71MC707 — CARDIOLOGY - CORONARY UNIT
The student will be exposed to the evaluation and management of patients with cardiovascular disease in a community based referral hospital. There is an active eight bed coronary care unit which is staffed by the course instructors. Active participation in the evaluation and management of patients with acute myocardial infarctions, unstable angina pectoris, and arrhythmias is emphasized in the unit. Bedside hemodynamic monitoring as well as appropriate electrophysiology studies are utilized. Daily instruction in the integration of electrocardiograms and the clinical usage of exercise stress testing will also be done by the instructors. Patients with non-coronary cardiovascular disease in the hospital setting will also be seen and managed. Exposure to the full complement of invasive and non-invasive cardiology techniques in the evaluation of patients is employed. Weekly lectures on cardiovascular disease are given by the instructors.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Sachin Patel, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: St. Joseph Regional Medical Center (Mishawaka)
Other Faculty: Ashfaq Turk, M.D.: A. Shaikh, M.D.; Zachary Leshen, M.D.; William Sarnat, M.D.
- 1) Take a detailed cardiac history (PC1)
- 2) Perform an appropriate cardiovascular exam (PC3)
- 3) Create differential diagnoses for cardio- vascular symptoms (PC2)
- 4) Evaluate acute and chronic cardiac pathologies with such modalities as ECG, ECHO, stress testing, nuclear studies, cardiac catheterization, and PTCA (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The assessment methods include faculty observation of history and physical exams and evaluation plans for patient care. The assessment will be conducted by the course director and corresponding faculty).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical, 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (email@example.com or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None