Elective Title: 71KN703 — NEONATAL MEDICINE
The student will participate in the care of a number of sick newborns, beginning from the time a high-risk mother is admitted to the hospital or when transport from an outlying hospital is initiated. A multi-disciplinary team approach will be emphasized, utilizing obstetricians, developmental therapists, radiologists, respiratory therapists and social workers in addition to the pediatric subspecialties. Students will function as sub-interns with patient care responsibilities under close supervision of the neonatologist. The student will become familiar with the pathophysiology affecting premature and pre-term infants and will actively participate in their care plans. Opportunities for intubation, peripheral IV insertion, umbilical catheter placement, and needle aspiration are present. The student will become certified in NRP during the course.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com)
Director: Robert White, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: Memorial Hospital (South Bend)
Other Faculty: Basharat Buchh, M.D.; Mary Degeneffe, M.D.
- 1) Manage common neonatal problems (PC3)
- 2) Describe the physiology and basic management principles for critically ill NICU patients (MK3)
- 3) Perform basic newborn resuscitation/stabilization (PC5)
- 4) Perform common neonatal procedures (PC5)
- 5) Assist with ventilator management (PC5)
- 6) Provide family support and parental communication (ISC2)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form;( Clinical Observation by course director and elective faculty).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 70% Clinical; 20% Lecture; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (email@example.com or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None