Elective Title: 53MI741 — PALLIATIVE CARE - IU HEALTH BLOOMINGTON
Students will participate in a community hospital inpatient consult service for palliative care. The palliative care service in a multidisciplinary team consisting of social work, chaplain, mid level providers and physicians. Additional reading and weekly presentations are also expected.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Patty Booker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Ivy Lee, M.D.
Location: IU Health Bloomington Hospital (Bloomington)
Other Faculty: Sarah Tieman, M.D.; Ken Cornetta, M.D., Rob Stone, M.D., Dr. Ivy Nehamkin Lee
- 1) Describe the place of palliative and hospice care in the health care system, while learning to identify those with advanced or terminal illnesses who might be palliative care or hospice candidates, or who are facing imminent death along the continuum of care (SBP1)
- 2) Practice effective communication skills with patients having life-limiting illnesses, their family members, and their significant others (ISC2)
- 3) Practice decision-making skills in pain and symptom management for patients with advanced or chronic illnesses (MK4)
- 4) Discuss and differentiate advance directives including Do Not Resuscitate orders, choice of a health care representative, and the Indiana Physicians Orders for Scope of Treatment (POST) (P3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (The student will be observed during in-patient care activities by faculty. Written notes as well as case presentations will be discussed with faculty. The final assessment will be completed by the palliative care faculty.)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical, 20% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Housing available, contact Patty Booker at email@example.com for availability and to arrange orientation.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None