Elective Title: 49ZI704 — MEDICAL TOXICOLOGY
On the Medical Toxicology rotation, students will serve as a member of the toxicology team providing consultation services on poisoned patients at Methodist, Eskenazi, IU, and Riley. Students will participate in daily teaching rounds, Poison Center case reviews, weekly rotating student/resident presentations (article reviews, critically appraised topics, interesting cases) and formal didactics taught by faculty or toxicology fellows.
- 1) Describe the pharmacology and mechanism of toxicity of the more frequently encountered drugs and toxins (MK4)
- 2) Develop and apply clinical skills related to the general management of patients with frequently encountered poisonings (PC3)
- 3) Identify indications for and appropriately apply specific antidotes and therapies for common toxins (PC3)
- 4) Discuss and appropriately utilize specific toxicology resources (poison center, references, etc)) available when caring for a poisoned patient (SBP4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form, Written examination created by the course director; Case Presentation Evaluation Form; (Students will be directly observed during patient care activities and during teaching rounds. Case presentations and journal articles reviewed during journal club are likewise reviewed and discussed by the group. A written examination is administered at the end of the rotation. The evaluation is completed by the course director but its content consists of faculty and fellow input based upon the above).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 40% Clinical; 40% Lecture/Seminar; 20% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Jennifer Sanders or Louise Kao (Jsanders6@iuhealth.org or Lkao@iuhealth.org) The rotation is based at Methodist Hospital. We have a team center located in the B building, 4th floor, close to the EM administrative offices and the Indiana Poison Center. Any student wanting to drop or add this elective after the initial computer scheduling should contact Denise Monday at 317-962-8116 or DMonday@iuhealth.org..
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: On this elective students will work with pharmacy students and residents as well as nurses who staff the poison center.
Service Learning Included: None