Elective Title: 49YX706 — FAMILY MEDICINE AMBULATORY CARE ROTATION
This primary care ambulatory rotation is an excellent opportunity to finally function like the Family Doctor you've been waiting to be. In many ways, this is an outpatient sub-internship, based on your level of patient care responsibility. You will have the opportunity to evaluate and implement treatment plans on patients in the Family Medicine Center at the St. Vincent Joshua Max Simon Primary Care Center. On this rotation, you will work either directly with one of the residents/faculty in their continuity clinics, or as part of a team, functioning on an Open Access, or same-day appointment, system. You will also participate in weekly family medicine didactics.
Director: Julie Holt, M.D.
Location: St. Vincent Hospital (Indianapolis), Primary Care Center
Other Faculty: Dr. Cathy Bryant , Dr. Heidi Harris, Dr. Liz Roth, Dr. Tim Von Fange, Dr. Anne Knox, Dr. Puja Samudra, Dr. Alan Bercovitz, Dr. Curt Ward, Dr. Kimberly Williams Smith
- 1) Evaluate and manage common acute ambulatory patient conditions (PC3)
- 2) Efficiently assess and treat patients in an office setting (PC1)
- 3) Implement preventative healthcare practices into the ambulatory care of patients (PC4)
- 4) Follow guidelines of chronic disease management (MK4)
- 5) Appropriately document and code for services rendered / increase exposure to EMR in a practice setting (ISC5)
- 6) Incorporate the principles of evidence-based medicine (MK5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Family Medicine clerkship must be completed.
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 45
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Didactic
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Darlenia Thomas (email@example.com; DarleniaF.Thomas@ascension.org) To check availability, contact Darlenia Thomas at (DarleniaF.Thomas@stvincent.org). We do accept interested students with a wait list availability option.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None