Elective Title: 49SG725 — COLON AND RECTAL SURGERY
The Colon and Rectal Surgery Elective will allow senior medical students the opportunity to observe and participate in the evaluation and surgical treatment of patients experiencing disorders and diseases of the anus, rectum, and colon. Students will rotate with physicians of Kendrick Colon and Rectal Center for 4 weeks. The rotation will primarily take place at St. Francis Hospital in Mooresville and Indianapolis. Students will assist with rounding on surgical inpatients, taking part in office and inpatient consultations and assisting/observing in outpatient and inpatient surgery. There are no call requirements for this rotation.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Melissa Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Dipen C. Maun, M.D.
Location: Kendrick Colon and Rectal Center, Franciscan St. Francis Health (Mooresville), Franciscan St. Francis Health (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Olaf Johansen M.D., Fred Lane M.D., Barry Melbert M.D., Ben Tsai M.D., Tobi Reidy M.D.
- 1) Demonstrate a working knowledge of the anatomy of the large intestine, small intestine, rectum and anal canal (MK1)
- 2) Describe the pathophysiology of colon and rectal cancer, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis (MK3)
- 3) Explain the presenting signs and treatment options for anal fissure, hemorrhoids, anal fistula (MK5)
- 4) Take a focused history and physical in a colorectal surgery office (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Melissa Sullivan (email@example.com)
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None