Elective Title: 49MP714 — PULMONARY/CRITICAL CARE ELECTIVE
This elective emphasizes diagnosis and management of critically ill patients with emphasis on medical and pulmonary diseases. The primary patient population are inpatients at a large tertiary care center with a diverse intensive care patient population (cardiac critical care, post surgical critical care, neuro critical care, cardiovascular critical care, and respiratory critical care). There will be exposure to pulmonary diagnostic procedures, critical care procedures, and ventilator management. Hands on closely supervised critical care procedures will include central line and arterial line placement, thoracentesis, intubation, and bedside noninvasive hemodynamic monitoring and point of care ultrasound. The student will function as an active member of a critical care team working directly with the pulmonary/intensivist staff and residents. Attendance at teaching conferences including didactic ICU lectures, journal club, and chest conference is expected. The student has no weekend or overnight responsibility. Night call on this elective is optional.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Denise Monday (Dmonday@iuhealth.org)
Director: Robert Weller, M.D.
Location: IU Health Methodist Hospital (Indianapolis)
- 1) Function as an integral part of a care team working directly with Pulmonary-Critical Care staff as well as critical care residents, fellows, nurses, and clinical pharmacists in a multidisciplinary approach to care (SBP1)
- 2) Demonstrate proper use of critical care check lists in managing complex medical patients (MK4)
- 3) Apply critical thinking skills to the management of respiratory failure, shock, sepsis, ARDS, and multiple organ failure (MK5)
- 4) Demonstrate basic skills in ventilator management, and appropriate interpretation of advanced hemodynamic monitoring data (PC5)
- 5) Communicate complex care issues and important end of life care issues during family conferences (P3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation, Lecture Attendance)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 50
Time Distribution: 75% Clinical; 15% Lecture/Seminar; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Denise Monday (Dmonday@iuhealth.org) This course may be dropped or added up to the 15th day of the month preceding the elective month. Any student wanting to drop or add this elective after the initial computer scheduling should contact Denise Monday at 317-962-8116 or DMonday@iuhealth.org.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: The elective does provide opportunities for inter professional collaboration. The very nature of our rounding in the intensive care units now involves multidisciplinary care rounds which including bedside nurses, respiratory therapists, clinical pharmacist, speech and physical therapists and social workers. On some units this takes the form of 3 times a week physical rounding of the entire team at the patient's bedside. On other units there is a daily "huddle" at a central conference room involving the various disciplines .
Service Learning Included: None