Elective Title: 49MC706 — CLINICAL CARDIOLOGY
This cardiology elective will involve active participation in an all-inclusive cardiac program providing wide exposure to aspects of clinical cardiology, both invasive and noninvasive. There is emphasis on electrocardiograph interpretation with the students spending three hours per week with staff to review electrocardiograms. In addition, the students will spend two weeks in the hospital working closely with the cardiologist caring for hospitalized patients and two weeks rotating through the outpatient setting with exposure to outpatient physical examinations, treadmill testing, echocardiograph testing and nuclear testing. The entire group of students will participate in cardiac fellow sessions to discuss various aspects of cardiology. In addition, attendance at general conference at St. Vincent Hospital is encouraged.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Darlenia Thomas at (DarleniaF.Thomas@stvincent.org)
Director: Janet Rippy, M.D.
Location: St. Vincent Hospital, The Heart Center of Indiana, The Care Group (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Staff cardiologists (MD or DO)
- 1) Interpret ECGs focusing on rhythm, abnormalities consistent with acute myocardiaol injury, infarction, non specific abnormalties, Bundle branch blocks and some work on metabolic abnormalities (PC3)
- 2) Take a concise cardiac history focusing on ischemic events, arrhythmic events, CHF or valvular diagnoses (PC1)
- 3) Identify classic murmurs of mitral, aortic valves and to a lesser degree pulmonic and tricuspid valves, understand physical findings of CHF and ischemia (PC2)
- 4) Discuss the medications used to treat coronary patients whether acute or chronic or with intervention; CHF and have an initial understanding of the antiarrhythmic drugs available (MK4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The students are assigned for a week to a staff cardiologist (in the in patient sphere)who assigns work to them and then evaluates the work via direct observation or discussion with the faculty. In some instances, they are observing and wouldn't get an evaluation unless they had been supervised for at least 3 days by the OP cardiologist to whom they are assigned.For the ECG interpretation, the students are assigned ECGs daily and are responsible for interpreting them in front of me several times a week and I assess their interpretive skills. Each of the assigned staff fills out the usual evaluative tool and I compile the results on the clinical performance evaluation form from the contributions of the staff).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
To check availability, contact Darlenia Thomas at (DarleniaF.Thomas@stvincent.org). We do accept interested students with a wait list availability option. We do accept interested students with a wait list availability option. Students may only miss 3 days in the course. Interview schedules may not fit into this restriction. THIS COURSE MAY ONLY BE ADDED AT LEAST TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO START DATE. IT MAY BE DROPPED AT ANY TIME.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None