Elective Title: 49KX726 — COMMUNITY PEDIATRICS (OUTPATIENT)
The elective will provide students first-hand experience with general pediatrics in a community outpatient clinic. Learners will see patients from birth to adolescence in the outpatient setting gathering appropriate patient history, completing the physical examination and developing patient care plans. Cases will be staffed with pediatric teaching faculty. The experience will also include: a) daily inpatient morning reports, b)daily noon conferences and c) outpatient lectures.
Director: Meaghan Keller, M.D.
Location: St. Vincetn
Other Faculty: Dr. S. Jain, Dr. L. Brown-Jones, Dr. F. Farahan, Dr. S. Stewart, Dr. D. Rifai, Dr. D. Zancanaro
- 1)Evaluate patients with common pediatric illnesses and accidents (PC2)
- 2) Apply guidelines to pediatric patients regarding appropriate immunizations (MK6)
- 3) Summarize age-appropriate anticipatory guidance (PC6)
- 4) Evaluate the role of normal growth and development parameters in the evaluation of pediatric patients (MK1)
- 5) Develop care plans for pediatric patients (PC2)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation
Prerequisites: 4th year status (Can do as 3rd year elective in second half of the year if interested in pediatrics (case-by-case basis)
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50 hours / week
Time Distribution: 75% Clinical; 15% Lecture; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: To check availability, contact Darlenia Prow at (DarleniaF.Thomas@stvincent.org; DarleniaF.Thomas@ascension.org). We do accept interested students with a wait list availability option.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None