Elective Title: 49KN706 — COMMUNITY NEONATOLOGY
The student functions as a member of the team caring for critically ill neonates in the 75-bed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at St. Vincent Women
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Darlenia Thomas (DarleniaF.Thomas@stvincent.org)
Director: Caroline Maylock, M.D.
Location: St. Vincent Hospital (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Dr. Akinola, Dr. Bradburn , Dr. Hicks, Dr. Jansen, Dr. Menon, Dr. Michna, Dr. Ben Saad, Dr. Simon, Dr. Tauscher , Dr. Waheed, Dr. Wareham, Dr. Whitman, Dr. Stutey, Dr. Lariosa, Dr. DeSanto
- 1) Demonstrate competence in newborn resuscitation/stabilization (PC5)
- 2) Assist in management of common neonatal problems (MK4)
- 3) Assist with and or demonstrate knowledge of appropriate indication and procedure of invasive techniques, umbilical lines, intubation, chest tubes, and PICC lines (PC5)
- 4) Demonstrate appropriate ventilator management (PC5)
- 5) Communicate effectively with parents and members of the healthcare team (ISC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Pediatric clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 45
Time Distribution: 75% Clinical; 15% Lecture/Seminar; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
To check availability, contact Darlenia Thomas at (DarleniaF.Thomas@stvincent.org). We do accept interested students with a wait list availability option.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None