Elective Title: 49KN706 — COMMUNITY NEONATOLOGY
The student functions as a member of the team caring for critically ill neonates in the 87 - bed Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at St. Vincent Women's Hospital. The elective will offer learning opportunities in control of the airway and mechanical ventilation, hemodynamic monitoring, data interpretation, pharmacology, stabilization, and resuscitation in the delivery room. The student will perform or assist in the varied technical procedures required in the NICU environment, including intubation, umbilical line placement, spinal tap, and resuscitation. The student will acquire experience dealing with the parents of sick neonates. Students will have the opportunity to observe interaction between the neonatologist and community pediatrician, obstetrician, and family practitioner. Certification in Neonatal Advanced Life Support is offered.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops:
Beth Dragoo (BVDRAGOO@ascension.org)
Director: Taha Ben Saad, M.D.
Location: St. Vincent Hospital (Indianapolis)
1) Demonstrate competence in newborn resuscitation/stabilization (PC5)
- 2) Assist in management of common neonatal problems (MK4)
- 3) Assist with and or demonstrate knowledge of appropriate indication and procedure of invasive techniques, umbilical lines, intubation, chest tubes, and PICC lines (PC5)
- 4) Demonstrate appropriate ventilator management (PC5)
- 5) Communicate effectively with parents and members of the healthcare team (ISC1)
Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation).
3rd or 4th year status; Pediatric clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 45
Time Distribution: 75% Clinical; 15% Lecture/Seminar; 10% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: To check availability, contact Beth Dragoo (BVDRAGOO@ascension.org). We do accept interested students with a wait list availability option.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None