Elective Title: 49CA744 — PATHOLOGY SURVEY
The Pathology Elective is designed to acquaint the student with the practice of pathology. The student will spend the first two weeks doing general anatomic pathology which includes autopsy and surgical pathology. He/she will participate in the performance of autopsies, gross specimen dissection, frozen sections, and microscopic examination with both the resident and staff pathologists. Students are encouraged to participate in the dictation of gross findings. The second part of the month will be spent rotating on the cytology and hematology services. During this time the student will examine gynecological and non-gynecological cytology specimens and observe the performance and interpretation of fine needle aspiration biopsies. On the hematology service they will study peripheral smears and observe the retrieval and microscopic examination of bone marrow aspiration and biopsy specimens. The student may arrange to observe other areas of the pathology laboratory such as the blood bank which has a busy plasmapheresis service. Throughout the month the student is encouraged to attend and, when appropriate, participate in the daily departmental and the interdepartmental conferences. The student is not required to take night or weekend call on this elective.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Beverly Jarrett (email@example.com)
Director: Muhammad Idrees, M.B.B.S, M.D.
Location: IU Health Pathology Laboratory, IU Health Methodist Hospital, IU Health University Hospital (Indianapolis)
Other Faculty: Pathology faculty on service for each section
- 1) Recognize the functions of the department of Pathology and how different divisions of the department interact with each other (SBP1)
- 2) Explain the various processes involved in acquiring and processing and diagnostic interpretation of anatomic and clinical specimens (PC5)
- 3) Interpret morphologic findings as well as clinical results at a basic level (MK3)
- 4) Explain the importance of accurate diagnosis, reporting and communication with health care providers in patient management (ISC1)
- 5) Participate in teaching, intradepartmental and interdepartmental conferences, and reseach projects to gain experience in order to function in an academic environment (PBLI1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Evaluations and involvement of research/projects; objective test (glass slides), Observation by faculty/residents/fellows)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; must have completed at least one-half of the required 3rd year clinical clerkships
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 70% Laboratory (35% Clinical Diagnostic Services / 35% Anatomic Pathology); 15% Lecture/Seminar; 15% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Any student wanting to drop or add this elective after initial computer scheduling should contact Beverly Jarrett at 491-6350 or firstname.lastname@example.org. This course may be dropped or added up to the 15th day of the month preceding the elective month.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None