Elective Title: 46YF711 — SPORTS MEDICINE
This is a one month rotation consisting of outpatient primary care sports medicine along with some exposure to sports physical therapy, orthopedics and sideline event coverage. Students will also be introduced to the use of ultrasound guided diagnostics and therapeutic injections while on rotation as used in a sports medicine practice. One-on-one teaching will be provided from faculty to student throughout the rotation in the form of lectures and clinical discussion. A required presentation on an assigned topic for one didactic session will be completed with the help of faculty. Additionally, students will be encouraged to attend Friday morning case conferences. Primary office location will be the Indiana University Health La Porte Orthopedics and Sports Medicine center, but other locations for learning opportunities may be utilized to complete objectives of this rotation.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sarah Bancroft, DO.(email@example.com )
Director: Sarah Bancroft, D.O.
Location: IU Health La Porte Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Center (La Porte)
- 1) Explain the role of the sports medicine physician in the sports medicine team approach to care (SBP1)
- 2) Apply knowledge of the basic anatomy and the appropriate physical examination techniques used to evaluate a sports medicine patient (PC1)
- 3) Describe and recognize the non-orthopedic related issues encountered by a sports medicine provider (PC1)
- 4) Identify appropriate usage of outpatient ultrasound with guided diagnosis of injuries and therapeutic injections (PC3)
- 5) Competently participate in sideline and community events with a sports medicine physician (PC1)
- 6) Discuss the role and function of other sports medicine providers related to the care of the athlete (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Assessment will be based on observation, individual case presentations and discussion with the sports medicine providers involved in the students educational experience. In addition, formal numeric evaluation will be done using the Medical Student Clinical Performance evaluation by the elective course. Assessment will be performed primarily by Dr. Bancroft).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: under 80
Time Distribution: 85% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar; 5% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Sarah Bancroft, DO.(firstname.lastname@example.org ) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest and South Bend electives must go thru their respective coordinators. Northwest students, contact Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6525). South Bend students contact Stacey Jackson (email@example.com or 574-631-1870)
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None