Elective Title: 46MI721 — HOSPITALIST ELECTIVE
This rotation will involve medical students seeing a wide variety of internal medicine patients on the acute floor. Students will work one-on-one with a member of the Hospitalist group. Patient care will be over ICU (seeing up to 2-3 patients daily), telemetry and medical outpatient wards, with the student. Pre-rounding will be expected.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Vinay Tumuluri, M.D.
Location: IU Health La Porte Hospital/ Hospitalist Department (La Porte)
- 1) Describe the variety of clinical presentations commonly seen in a community hospital on a hospitalist service (MK3)
- 2) Compare and contrast common clinical diagnoses that present to a hospitalist service (PC2)
- 3) Design an appropriate and cost effective treatment plan for the care of patients presenting with these common diagnoses (SBP5)
- 4) Demonstrate effective communication with the patient and their families as well as other physicians (ISC3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (IUSM-MSA); (Assessment will be made by direct observation of patient interviewing, clinical skills, communication and presentations. Assessment will be made by the Hospitalist with the most direct contact with the student).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 50-55
Time Distribution: 85% Clinical, 15% Library Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest and South Bend electives must go thru their respective coordinators. Northwest students, contact Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6561 or Brittany Miller (email@example.com or 219-980-6525.. South Bend students contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870) Housing may be available. Details to be worked out with course director.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None