Elective Title: 45ZE703 — GENERAL EMERGENCY CARE
The clinical experience is unlimited in an emergency department with a service flow of more than 100 patients daily. The student will have the opportunity to evaluate patients in all disciplines. He/she will take care of history, physical exams and observe many procedures. He/she will be able to order and interpret laboratory studies and x-rays. Experience will be gained in EKG, cardiac monitoring and life threatening emergencies. Lecture experience consists of attendance at regularly scheduled conferences of the hospital teaching program.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Cynthia Galvan MD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Cynthia Galvan, M.D.
Location: The Methodist Hospital, Inc. (Gary)
Other Faculty: Maryella Kenefake, M.D. (co-director); Dr. Lexie Dore(co-director), Dr. Jude Kieltyka(co-director), Dr. Anar Desai (co-director); Michael McGee, M.D., Airron Richardson, M.D.; Phillip Kunz, M.D.; Michael Ward, M.D.; Mary Ella Kanafake, M.D.
- 1) Collect data that is pertinent to a specific patient (PC3)
- 2) Document the information in an appropriate form on the ER chart (ISC5)
- 3) Staff the patient with the faculty in an effective and efficient manner (PC1)
- 4) Establish with the faculty a diagnostic plan for evaluation of the patient (PC2)
- 5) Interpret laboratory and diagnostic test results (PC3)
- 6) Establish with the faculty a treatment plan of care appropriate for the patient (PC2)
- 7) Identify the appropriate communication style and content required to share with the patient and his/her supporting group and then communicating with those individuals (ISC2)
- 8) Develop skills in suturing, casting, and other interventions as appropriate for the student’s skill level and enthusiasm of care skills desired and needed (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Students are assessed by faculty feedback).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Cynthia Galvan MD (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (email@example.com or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None