Elective Title: 45ZE703 — GENERAL EMERGENCY CARE
The clinical experience is unlimited in an emergency department with a service flow of more than 100 patients daily. The student will have the opportunity to evaluate patients in all disciplines. He/she will take care of history, physical exams and observe many procedures. He/she will be able to order and interpret laboratory studies and x-rays. Experience will be gained in EKG, cardiac monitoring and life threatening emergencies. Lecture experience consists of attendance at regularly scheduled conferences of the hospital teaching program.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Cynthia Galvan MD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Cynthia Galvan, M.D.
Location: The Methodist Hospital, Inc. (Gary)
Other Faculty: Maryella Kenefake, M.D. (co-director); Michael McGee, M.D., Airron Richardson, M.D.; Phillip Kunz, M.D.; Michael Ward, M.D.; Mary Ella Kanafake, M.D.
- 1) Collect data that is pertinent to a specific patient (PC3)
- 2) Document the information in an appropriate form on the ER chart (ISC5)
- 3) Staff the patient with the faculty in an effective and efficient manner (PC1)
- 4) Establish with the faculty a diagnostic plan for evaluation of the patient (PC2)
- 5) Interpret laboratory and diagnostic test results (PC3)
- 6) Establish with the faculty a treatment plan of care appropriate for the patient (PC2)
- 7) Identify the appropriate communication style and content required to share with the patient and his/her supporting group and then communicating with those individuals (ISC2)
- 8) Develop skills in suturing, casting, and other interventions as appropriate for the student
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Students are assessed by faculty feedback).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None