Elective Title: 45YF709 — URBAN MEDICINE - CARE FOR THE UNDERSERVED
The entire American healthcare industry is undergoing a dramatic change, and physicians will have to know more than the technical aspects of their profession to participate meaningfully in shaping this change. Federally-Qualified Health Centers (FQHC
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Janet Seabrook, M.D.
Location: Community HealthNet (Gary, Hammond, and Merrillville)
Other Faculty: Melvin Richardson, M.D.
- 1) Discuss the uniqueness and role of a FQHC in the community (SBP1)
- 2) Discuss issues of accessibility, availability, and affordability in Urban Healthcare and have a greater understanding about the causes of health care disparities (SBP3)
- 3) Describe the organization and delivery of health care in an urban setting based on clinical rotations in different departments within the FQHC and other health care facilities (SBP1)
- 4) Implement chronic disease management techniques with patients in the urban setting (PC4)
- 5) Diagnose and manage common undifferentiated medical problems presenting in the urban setting (PC3)
- 6) Value preventive health measures in quality of care by participating in an available patient advocacy program (SBP5)
- 1. Medication barriers patient survey and reflection; (The course director will assess the student's understanding of healthcare disparities and serving the underserved population through a minimum of 4 patient surveys and reflections. Student will utilize a "barriers to medication use survey" developed by Dr. David Marrero. The student will ask at least 4 patients the questions on the survey and then reflect upon the patient
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical, 20% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None