Elective Title: 45RA720 — INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY
Interventional Radiology is a Radiology subspecialty which involves patient care and in which minimally invasive procedures are performed using imaging guidance which includes Fluoroscopy, CT scanning, and Ultrasound. Students will work directly with the Interventional Radiologist in pre-procedure patient evaluation, assist during the procedure, and be involved in post-procedure care. Procedures performed include angiography, angioplasty, stent placement, embolization, thrombolysis, Vena Cava filter placement, image guided biopsy and fluid drainage, nephrostomy tube placement, kyphoplasty and biliary drainage tube placement.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com)
Director: Thomas Maginot, M.D.
Other Faculty: Thomas Shin MD, Ramona Yedavelli MD, Nick Kennedy MD
- 1) Understand the imaging modalities that guide Interventional Radiology procedures and differentiate when each is used - Fluoroscopy, CT scanning, and Ultrasound (PC2)
- 2) Critically assess requests for common Interventional Radiology procedures and explain the factors that go into determining if a procedure is necessary, indicated, safe and able to be performed (PC5)
- 3) Recognize the benefits of minimally invasive approach of Interventional Radiology procedures (MK4)
- 4) Understand the factors used to reduce radiation dose to the patient and operator during Fluoroscopic and CT procedures (SBP4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form(Observation and discussion with faculty. The assessment will be completed by Thomas Maginot, M.D.)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) The student will work with Interventional Radiologists at Munster Community Hospital.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None