Elective Title: 45RA703 — DIAGNOSTIC & THERAPEUTIC RADIOLOGY/NUCLEAR MEDICINE
During the course of the elective, the student will be under supervision of board-certified staff. The course will include three weeks of diagnostic radiology (including magnetic resonance imaging, nuclear medicine, ultrasonography and computerized tomography) and one week of radiation therapy.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Jonathan T. Lee, M.D.
Location: Methodist Hospital Regional Health Care System, Community Hospital, Porter Health (Various locations near Gary, IN)
- 1) Recognize roentgenograms of proper quality in order to differentiate pathology (PC3)
- 2) Identify and recognize contrast materials for radiographic examinations (PC3)
- 3) Recognize the need for special patient preparation for radiologic examination (PC3)
- 4) Use the principles of radiology and correlate clinically with radiology findings (PC3)
- 5) Participate in film reading discussing findings with radiologist (ISC5)
- 6) Observe special procedures and demonstrate the indications for such procedures (PC5)
- 7) Discuss types of nuclear medicine, diagnostic exams, and indications and results of such tests (PC3)
- 8) Correlate findings of nuclear medicine studies with clinical findings; understand and discuss basic underlying principles of radiation therapy (PC3)
- 9) Discuss methods of therapy via radiation and relate side effects and results associated with various treatments (MK4)
- 10) Attend and participate in medical education conferences (P2)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The course director will assess the student's progress through oral presentations. A final global assessment will be completed at the end of the rotation using the assessment tools listed below).
Prerequisites: 4th year status. Elective may be used only for elective credit.
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 20% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (email@example.com or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None