Elective Title: 45NR709 — NEUROLOGY
This elective will allow students to develop neurologic history taking skills and physical exam skills in an outpatient clinic setting while under supervision. The student will also learn to develop treatment plans for patients with neurologic disorders. Students will be able to observe various neurological testing including, EMG, EEG and polysomnography. During this elective there will be an opportunity to work with a broad range of adult patients with common neurologic disorders including Parkinson's disease, stroke, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and sleep disorders.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Larry Salberg, M.D.
Location: Northern Indiana Neurological Institute (Merrillville)
- 1) Perform a thorough neurological examination and form a differential diagnosis (PC2)
- 2) Formulate a treatment/management plan for different neurological diseases (MK4)
- 3) Interpret basic EMG, EEG and polysomnography (PC3)
- 4) Develop and conduct a presentation about a common neurologic disorder (ISC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form 1. Direct observation of clinical performance by preceptor 2. Oral Case Presentation to course director 3. Discussion with preceptors/course director
Prerequisites: 4th year
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (email@example.com or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None