Elective Title: 45MP713 — PULMONARY MEDICINE AND CRITICAL CARE
During the elective, the student will: (1. have opportunities to see a variety of pulmonary diseases including sarcoidosis, asthma, C.O.P.D., occupational lung disease; (2. develop acceptable skills in recognition and treatment of acute and chronic respiratory illness; (3. participate in the care of a variety of critically ill patients on the critical care service; (4. have introductory experience in pulmonary function tests and A.B.G.; (5. attend Pulmonary Clinic at Northlake, and; (6. have experience in pulmonary rehabilitation at Southlake.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com)
Director: Raja Devanathan, M.D.
Location: Methodist Hospital (Gary)
- 1) Discuss the management of the critically ill patient including acute clinical syndromes, and abnormal hemodynamic and respiratory/pulmonary variables (MK4)
- 2) Describe the etiology of common pulmonary/critical care medicine conditions (MK2)
- 3) Diagnose and develop a treatment plan for these common conditions (PC3)
- 4) Recognize indications for and interpret tests used in the evaluation of the pulmonary/critical care patient (PC3)
- 5) Demonstrate an appropriate physical exam of these patients (PC1)
- 6) Apply basic knowledge of pulmonology and critical care medicine in patient care setting (MK5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; 1. Direct observation of clinical performance by preceptor 2. Oral Case Presentation to course director 3. Discussion with preceptors/course director
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 2.5% Research; 2.5% Library; 5% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None