Elective Title: 45MP713 — PULMONARY MEDICINE AND CRITICAL CARE
During the elective, the student will: (1. have opportunities to see a variety of pulmonary diseases including sarcoidosis, asthma, C.O.P.D., occupational lung disease; (2. develop acceptable skills in recognition and treatment of acute and chronic respiratory illness; (3. participate in the care of a variety of critically ill patients on the critical care service; (4. have introductory experience in pulmonary function tests and A.B.G.; (5. attend Pulmonary Clinic at Northlake, and; (6. have experience in pulmonary rehabilitation at Southlake.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Raja Devanathan, M.D.
Location: Methodist Hospital (Gary)
- 1) Discuss the management of the critically ill patient including acute clinical syndromes, and abnormal hemodynamic and respiratory/pulmonary variables (MK4)
- 2) Describe the etiology of common pulmonary/critical care medicine conditions (MK2)
- 3) Diagnose and develop a treatment plan for these common conditions (PC3)
- 4) Recognize indications for and interpret tests used in the evaluation of the pulmonary/critical care patient (PC3)
- 5) Demonstrate an appropriate physical exam of these patients (PC1)
- 6) Apply basic knowledge of pulmonology and critical care medicine in patient care setting (MK5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; 1. Direct observation of clinical performance by preceptor 2. Oral Case Presentation to course director 3. Discussion with preceptors/course director
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 2.5% Research; 2.5% Library; 5% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None