Elective Title: 45MC705 — CLINICAL CARDIOLOGY
The medical students will be assigned two new patients each day. The emphasis on one will be diagnostic and the other therapeutic. The history and physical will be reviewed by one of four board certified cardiologists. They will participate in the formulation of therapy and additional workup including treadmill stress testing, echocardiography, Holter monitoring, and cardiac catheterization. The students will follow their patient during the entire course of hospitalization. They will become familiar with a wide variety of cardiac problems both acute and chronic. They will see congenital and acquired heart disease of all kinds. They will get an extensive experience in electrocardiography and arrhythmia interpretation.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com)
Director: Nazzal Obaid, M.D.
Location: Community Healthcare System (Community Hospital; St. Catherine Hospital; St. Mary Medical Center - Gary Area)
- 1) Discuss the basic principles involved in the interpretation of the surface electrocardiogram (PC3)
- 2) Interpret ECG's and verify findings with staff cardiologists (PC3)
- 3) Develop familiarity with the diagnosis and management of coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, cardiac arrhythmias, and other complex cardiovascular problems (MK4)
- 4) Complete the initial evaluation and case presentation for patients in whom cardiologic consultation has been requested (PC1)
- 5) Discuss and review cases with cardiology physician staff (ISC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation and disussion with faculty).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None