Elective Title: 45LA709 — ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY ROTATION
This orthopedic surgery rotation will provide medical students with a broad exposure to the entire spectrum of orthopedic specialty care including joint replacement, hand and upper extremity, sports injuries, spine surgery, and trauma. Including both inpatient and outpatient experiences, the student will work alongside a multi-disciplinary team of orthopedic surgeons specializing in hand and upper extremity, total joint replacement, sports medicine, and general orthopedics/trauma. Students will be instructed in the examination, diagnosis, and management of patients in the clinical setting. They will also be frequently and actively involved in surgical cases and peri-operative management.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com)
Director: Joseph Schwartz, M.D.
Location: Community Hospital (Munster), St. Mary Medical Center (Hobart), Methodist Hospital (Gary & Merrillville)
Other Faculty: Scott Andrews, MD; Kenneth Han, MD; Zeshan Hyder, DO
- 1) Obtain and report a basic orthopedic patient history (PC1)
- 2) Demonstrate a full musculoskeletal exam using proper technique (PC1)
- 3) Describe basic orthopedic x-ray findings accurately (PC3)
- 4) Diagnose and develop a working differential diagnosis and treatment plan for common orthopedic conditions and injuries (PC2)
- 1. Musculoskeletal Exam Checklist 2. Oral Case Presentation Assessment 3. Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The course director will assess the student's progress through oral presentations, demonstration of both a focused and complete musculoskeletal exam, discussion and critique of case management options with student, and observation of patient interaction. A final global assessment will be completed at the end of the rotation using the assessment tools listed below).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 95% Clinical; 5% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None