Elective Title: 45GO710 — ELECTIVE IN OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY
This elective allows the medical student to continue his/her studies of obstetrical and gynecologic care. The student will actively participate with staff in managing patients presenting for prenatal, labor/ delivery and postpartum care. Both routine and many high risks patients will be seen. Gynecologic experience will consist of general clinic visits, family planning, evaluation of abnormal cytology, hands on time in the operating rooms, with options of evaluating patients with urogynecologic, substance abuse and endocrinologic complaints. Students will have one weekend on call.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com)
Director: Ibrihim Zabaneh, M.D.
Location: Community Hospital (Munster)
Other Faculty: Anthony Gentile, M.D., Howard Marcus, M.D., Don Henry, M.D., Aruna Uppuluri, M.D., John Taylor, M.D., Steve Rizos, M.D., Andrew Waran, M.D.
- 1) Demonstrate the ability to complete, as necessary, a complete or problem focused history and physical exam on a patient (PC1)
- 2) Develop a patient care plan, demonstrating an understanding of the problem, physiology behind the problem, and research the problem for evidence based care (MK5)
- 3) Demonstrate effective communication by: Written Histories & Physicals, Progress & Clinic Notes, Oral Presentations, Communication with Patients & Family Members (ISC1)
- 4) Develop advanced technical skills so that they can provide prenatal care, accomplish a delivery, provide postpartum care, and provide basic gynecologic care (PC5)
- 1. Oral Case Presentation Assessment 2. Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The course director will assess the student's progress through oral presentations, demonstration of both a focused and complete exam, discussion and critique of case management options with student. A final global assessment will be completed at the end of the rotation using the assessment tools listed below).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status, OB/Gyn clerkship
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None