Elective Title: 45GO703 — OBSTETRICS AND/OR GYNECOLOGY
In obstetrics, three mornings per week will be spent in Prenatal Clinic and on rounds. Assigned to one of the clinic physicians, the student will develop an understanding of the comprehensive examination of the pelvis. With a high clinic population, students will have opportunities to observe and monitor patients in labor and numerous deliveries. It is expected that the student will have outstanding opportunities to observe prenatal care, normal deliveries, Cesarean sections, and postpartum care. Additional experiences will include: 1. labor induction; 2. fetal monitoring; 3. newborn evaluation; 4. interpretation of pelvic radiologic and ultrasound studies. In gynecology, the student will observe minor operative procedures including D&C's, biopsies, and conizations, as well as major gynecologic surgeries. Students will be encouraged to examine pathologic surgical specimens with the pathologists and attending physician. Students will develop an understanding of performance of common gynecological procedures including pap smears. Family planning concepts are included in this segment.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com)
Director: Keith Ramsey, M.D.
Location: Methodist Hospital (Gary)
- 1) Demonstrate the ability to complete, as necessary, a complete or problem focused history and physical exam on a patient (PC1)
- 2) Develop a patient care plan, demonstrating an understanding of the problem, physiology behind the problem, and research the problem for evidence based care (MK5)
- 3) Demonstrate effective communication by: Written Histories & Physicals, Progress & Clinic Notes, Oral Presentations, Communication with Patients & Family Members (ISC1)
- 4) Develop advanced technical skills so that they can provide prenatal care, accomplish a delivery, provide postpartum care, and provide basic gynecologic care (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Direct observation of clinical performance by preceptor, Oral Case Presentation to course director, Discussion with preceptors/course director).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; OB/GYN clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None