Elective Title: 45EN703 — OTOLARYNGOLOGY
The otolaryngology elective is designed to familiarize the medical student with the study of ear, nose, throat - head and neck surgery. During this elective, the student will pick a patient (or patients) with an ENT problem, obtain the patient's H &P, gather information on the disease entity or problem, management, treatment, prognosis, outcomes and the most up to date research on the topic. Students will be instructed in the examination, diagnosis, and management of patients in the clinical setting. They will also be frequently and actively involved in surgical cases and peri-operative management.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Dennis P. Han, M.D.
Location: Community Healthcare Systems, Franciscan Hospitals, Methodist Hospitals (Gary area)
Other Faculty: Ryan Cmejrek, M.D.; Tom Tarin, M.D., Sreekant Cherukuri, M.D.
- 1) Describe preoperative preparation, including indications for operations and informed consent (P3)
- 2) Demonstrate postoperative care and follow up (PC2)
- 3) Summarize basic pathology and physiology (MK3)
- 4) Demonstrate surgical procedures or protocols (PC5)
- 5) Describe surgical decision-making principles (PC3)
- 6) Explain potential complications that might result from surgical operations including anesthetic complications, bleeding, or wound infections (MK4)
- 1. Oral Case Presentation Assessment 2. Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The course director will assess the student's progress through oral presentations, demonstration of both a focused and complete exam, discussion and critique of case management options with student. A final global assessment will be completed at the end of the rotation using the assessment tools listed below).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; contact Dr.Amy Han prior to enrollment
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (email@example.com or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None