Elective Title: 45AN717 — ANESTHESIA
The student will contribute largely to the care of patients in both the preoperative, operative, and postoperative periods, including necessary history and evaluation of patients. The student will be tasked with preparation of the surgical suite from the standpoint of the anesthetist, including appropriate monitor, suction, machines, airway, intubation, and drug checks. The student will understand the role of medications, pre-operative exam, laboratory data, EKG, and other pertinent data in the assessment of patients. Emphasis will be placed on the importance of airway management, proper techniques to secure an airway, as well as cardiopulmonary resuscitation including methods, techniques and roles of medications. Didactic sessions and case-based learning will also be provided. Required reading: Select chapters from Stoelting and Miller's Basics of Anesthesia.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com )
Director: Derek Cheuk, M.D.
Location: St. Mary Medical Center, Lake Park Surgicenter (Hobart)
- 1) Demonstrate effective and safe airway management (PC5)
- 2) Demonstrate basic monitoring of the patient in surgery and to illustrate invasive monitoring techniques (PC5)
- 3) Describe the autonomic nervous system and how anesthesia affects it (MK1)
- 4) Recognize the medications used in operative and perioperative management of surgical patients (MK4)
- 5) Explain the use of the medications used in operative and perioperative management of surgical patients (MK4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Observation of clinical skills and procedures, Oral/case presentations to medical students/faculty (Communication Rubric),Discussion with faculty (patient cases)).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Amy Han, PhD (firstname.lastname@example.org ) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators. Contact Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com or 219-980-6561) or Brittany Miller (firstname.lastname@example.org or 219-980-6525).
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None