Elective Title: 45AN712 — INTERVENTIONAL PAIN MANAGEMENT
This elective will introduce the student to Pain Medicine through participation in the evaluation and treatment of patients seen in the outpatient setting. Students will gain exposure to the appropriate use of pain medications, injections, and advanced pain therapies such as spinal cord stimulators and pain pumps. The rotation consists primarily of outpatient chronic pain management, however, inpatient consults are also evaluated. Students are able to see patients across a wide range of painful diagnoses including cancer pain, acute post-operative pain, chronic post-operative pain (i.e. failed back surgery), and other non-malignant pain syndromes. The student will be exposed to: 1. patients with complex pain syndromes 2. outpatient pain management patients 3. post-surgical chronic neuropathic pain patients
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Amy Han, PhD (email@example.com)
Director: Shaun Kondamuri, M.D.
Location: Community Hospital (Munster)
Other Faculty: Satish Desari, M.D.; Vijay Gupta, M.D.; Saveen Kondamuri, M.D.
- 1) Describe the patho-physiology of acute and chronic pain (MK3)
- 2) Manage acute and chronic pain (PC1)
- 3) Formulate an appropriate treatment plan for chronic pain (PC3)
- 4) Participate in the management of chronic spinal pain conditions (PC3)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (The course director will assess the student's progress through at least: one oral presentation per week of a patient case, demonstration of both a focused and complete exam in the outpatient pain clinic of patient, discussion and critique of case management options with student. A final global assessment will be completed at the end of the rotation using the assessment tools listed below).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Library/Research
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Northwest electives must go thru the Northwest campus coordinators.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None