Elective Title: 20SG710 — SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
To familiarize medical students with the multidisciplinary management of cancer patients with respect to surgical oncology. The emphasized disease sites will include gastrointestinal cancers (esophagus/stomach, hepatobiliary, pancreas, colon), sarcoma, melanoma, endocrine, breast and lung cancers. Management will focus on current methods of screening, prevention and treatment strategies for various malignancies.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Stacey Jackson (email@example.com)
Director: Urs von Holzen, M.D.
Campus: South Bend
Location: Goshen Center for Cancer Care (Goshen)
Other Faculty: Leonard R. Henry, M.D., Ashley Hardy, M.D., Laura L. Morris, M.D., M.B.A., Roderich E. Schwarz, M.D., Ph.D., Urs von Holzen, M.D.
- 1) Describe the etiology of common cancer conditions (MK2)
- 2) Diagnose and develop a treatment plan for common cancer conditions with respect to surgical oncology (PC3)
- 3) Recognize indications for and interpret tests used in the evaluation of cancer patients (PC3)
- 4) Demonstrate an appropriate physical exam of the patient (PC1)
- 5) Apply basic knowledge of multidisciplinary management of cancer in the inpatient and outpatient patient care setting (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form;( Assessment is by faculty observation and oral presentations during rounds. The course director will collate and summarize evaluations from other faculty and healthcare team members).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Completion of Surgery Clerkship
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 70% Clinical; 20% Library/Research; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All South Bend electives must go thru the South Bend campus coordinator. Contact Stacey Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org or 574-631-1870). IU Health Goshen Hospital has housing available but is limited.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None