Elective Title: 19GO701 — CLINICAL OBSTETRICS AND GYNECOLOGY IN A RURAL SETTING
This course is designed to introduce medical students to clinical gynecology and obstetrics as practiced in a community hospital. Day to day clinical aspects of the practice will be emphasized. Hands on training is encouraged. The physician preceptor averages 10-15 deliveries per month and the student is encouraged to participate directly with those deliveries. Students average 5 - 10 deliveries per month. The on-call schedule is the student's option however many deliveries occur outside the typical daytime office hours. This large volume practice allows students to improve GYN evaluation techniques. Course Goal: Acquaint student physicians with experience away from the medical center setting, exposing them to practice in a smaller community while helping them better their clinical skills. This course features one on one contact with several board certified physicians in a single office.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Caren Whitehouse (email@example.com)
Director: Scott Beckman, M.D.
Location: Jasper Obstetrics and Gynecology (Jasper)
- 1) Demonstrate a full and complete obstetrical and gynecologic examination (PC1)
- 2) Elicit a comprehensive obstetrical and gynecologic history (PC1)
- 3) Organize, interpret and present clinical data and put forth a differential diagnosis with plan of care to further evaluate the patient or begin treatment (PC2)
- 4) Demonstrate basic surgical skills such as suturing, knot tying, wound care and other procedures at the discretion of the course director (PC5)
- 5) Demonstrate compassion and sensitivity to the female patient (P1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Clinical Observation: this is based on the student's interaction, participation and performance in clinical activities and demonstrated professionalism while on the rotation.)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status (Priority given to 4th year status); OB/GYN clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 5% Lecture/Seminar; 5% Library
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH: Contact Caren Whitehouse (firstname.lastname@example.org) at IUSM-Evansville for enrollment permission. Priority will be given to 4th-year students, with consideration of 3rd-year students who have completed their clerkship. Elective is only offered for IUSM students, not available for students from other schools.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None