Elective Title: 18MI711 — WARD MEDICINE
This elective is designed to give the student experience normally gained in the internship year. The student will have diagnostic and patient care responsibilities supervised by the Ward Resident and Staff Physicians assigned to the ward. These responsibilities include history and physical examination, order writing, daily progress notes and observation and performance of a broad spectrum of diagnostic and therapeutic medical procedures. Daily didactic conferences and ample time for reading complement the above.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Elaine Wisner (email@example.com )
Director: Ryan Johnston, M.D.
Location: IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital (Muncie)
Other Faculty: Brandon Dickey, M.D., B. Burugapalli, M.D., R. Yuhico, M.D., Adrian Singson, M.D.
- 1) Develop appropriate assessments and plans of care for patient acute care episodes (PC3)
- 2) Perform histories and physical exams and interpret basic diagnostics (PC1)
- 3) Effectively direct the use of healthcare resources to help care for patients admitted to the hospital (SBP5)
- 4) Demonstrate the skills necessary to transition a patient safely to the next level of care (PC6)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation-Completed by the course preceptor)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Every effort will be made to provide housing; arrangements will be made prior to arrival.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None