Elective Title: 18MH701 — INTERNAL MEDICINE -EMPHASIS ON HEMATOLOGY & ONCOLOGY
The objective of this elective is to provide the student with an opportunity to evaluate a wide diversity of diagnostic and therapeutic problems in the areas of hematology-oncology. Direct patient contact will be emphasized. The student will participate in the evaluation and management of patients with multiple problems in the above areas. Emphasis will be placed upon the multi-disciplinary approach to the diagnosis and treatment of malignant diseases and the extern will have the opportunity to observe the functioning of the hematology/oncology outpatient clinic and the Ball Memorial Hospital Oncology Unit. The student will spend a significant period of time participating in the Ball Memorial Hospital intern-resident teaching program as well.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Elaine Wisner (email@example.com)
Director: Michael Williamson, D.O.
Location: IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital (Muncie)
Other Faculty: Dr. Ibrahim, Dr. J. Spahr, Dr. M. Williamson, Dr. Fisher
- 1) Participate in the multidisciplinary clinical care of the Hematology-Oncology patient (SBP1)
- 2) Describe the primary treatment options for the common oncologic conditions (MK5)
- 3) Demonstrate a basic understanding of the diagnostic approach to the patient with a new diagnosis of cancer (PC3)
- 4) Recognize characteristic side effects of chemotherapy (MK4)
- 5) Analyze benign hematologic abnormalities common to the primary care setting (MK1)
- 6) List the benefits of psychosocial and supportive care in management of the oncology patient (SBP2)
- 7) Apply the concept of 'total care' to the advanced oncology patient (SBP1)
- 8) Describe the integrated roles that health care team members play in the management of our patients (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation will be assessed based on the students interaction with patients and presentation to the attending physicians).
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 85% Clinical; 15% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Elaine Wisner (firstname.lastname@example.org) Every effort will be made to provide housing; arrangements will be made prior to arrival.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: The course does offer some opportunity for interactive collaboration with other specialties and healthcare providers.
Service Learning Included: None