Elective Title: 02ZR701 — PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND PAIN MEDICINE
This elective will provide the medical student with the necessary fundamental skills as related to both physical medicine and pain medicine service lines. Emphasis will be on developing history taking skills, perfection of (neuro) musculoskeletal examination and treatments utilizing functional and manual anatomy techniques. In this setting, patients will present with low back pain, neck pain, peripheral nerve, and orthopaedic problems. Skills developed during the elective include electromyography, rehabilitation therapies, and therapeutic injections.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Joseph Fortin, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: IUSM - Fort Wayne
- 1) Perform the musculoskeletal examination from both a medical and restorative standpoint by patient case (PC1)
- 2) Describe the principles of electrodiagnosis and outpatient intervention injections and begin to demonstrate these principles during supervised procedures in the clinical setting (PC3)
- 3) Apply the fundamentals of prescribing rehabilitation therapies (MK4)
- 4) Apply the fundamentals of disability and impairment ratings (SBP3)
- 5) Describe the fundamentals for the procedures for nerve conduction testing (PC5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Students will present patient cases that include the evaluation, examination of the patient along with a diagnosis and specific pain management/treatment plans. Students will be observed during their musculoskeletal exams of a patient, injection techniques for pain-joint, bursa, muscles, and the spine, and nerve conduction testing.)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 5% Library/Research; 5% Lecture
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None