Elective Title: 02ZE701 — EMERGENCY MEDICINE
The objective of the emergency medicine clinical rotation is to provide the student with meaningful exposure to the principles and practices of high quality emergency care. The clinical practice of emergency medicine includes patients of every age group with problems ranging from child abuse to cardiac arrest and from trauma to intoxication. The technique of rapid but thorough patient assessment will be taught with emphasis on the management of the acutely ill or injured patient. The student will have an opportunity to interact with the emergency care team at many levels including: attendance at medical education conferences, paramedic and EMT training and in-service, advanced cardiac and trauma life support programs, as well as ongoing emergency department educational presentation. The rotation will include clinical shifts at Lutheran Hospital Main Emergency Department and the Lutheran Hospital Pediatric Emergency Department. All preceptors will be EM trained and EM board certified physicians with a passion for medical education.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (email@example.com)
Director: Anthony Collins, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: IUSM - Fort Wayne
- 1) Produce a concise problem-focused history and physical) Synthesize H&P data to generate an appropriate differential diagnosis and assessment and management plan (PC1)
- 2) Describe management priorities for critically ill and injured patients (MK4)
- 3) Develop knowledge of indications, complications, and techniques of common ED procedures including: airway management (bag-mask ventilation, rapid sequence intubation), procedural sedation, vascular access,/fluid resuscitation (IV placement, central lines, IO lines, arterial lines), CPR, lumbar puncture, bladder catheterization, splinting, suturing, regional anesthetic blocks, foreign body removal, and pain management (PC5)
- 4) Describe the basic principles of trauma and trauma evaluation (PC1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Observation by course director and preceptors)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators. For Family Medicine electives contact the Fort Wayne Medical Education Program at 260-422-6573. All others contact Sharon Roberts (email@example.com or 260-481-0224) or Gina Bailey (firstname.lastname@example.org or 260-481-6731).
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None