Elective Title: 02SG741 — GENERAL SURGERY ELECTIVE
This course is designed to provide the student with hands-on experiences and participation in the management of general surgical problems. The student will take part in the diagnosis, treatment and coordination of perisurgical care for a number of common and uncommon surgical conditions. Course will include patient evaluation in the office, clinic, facility and emergency room settings, performing consults, history and physicals, and writing notes and orders. The student will first assist in the operating and be taught to close. Clinical experiences will be correlated with reading assignments. Student will be instructed on how to recognize, diagnose and recommend treatement for multiple surgical problems affecting multiple body systems.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: MaryAnn Meo, D.O.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: Three Rivers Surgical Associates and Dupont Hospital (Fort Wayne)
- 1) Identify interventions needed before, during and after surgical procedures such as: hernia repair, breast biopsy, mastectomy, appendectomies and laproscopic cholecystomy and excisions of skin lesions, tumors and cysts (MK4)
- 2) Explain the parts of persisurgical care that includes preoperative planning, peroperative evaluations, postoperative management, postoperative problems, and postoperative complications for surgeries such as: preoperative testing and H&P, postoperative procedures and management (PC1)
- 3) Explain specific factors that affect surgery procedures such as: patient's BMI, smoking, age and comorbidities (SBP2)
- 4) Identify special problems associated with certain diseases affected surgical procedures (MK3)
- Surgical Clinical Elective Tool; Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Assessment will be through observation and presentations. Assessment will be done by Dr. Stuart and myself. Assessment will be through discussion of surgical care and evaluation of all the patients we encounter. We will also review pertinent surgical disease processes.)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-60
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Sharon Roberts (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators. For Family Medicine electives contact the Fort Wayne Medical Education Program at 260-422-6573. All others contact Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org or 260-481-0224. or Gina Bailey (email@example.com or 260-481-6731. Enrollment needs director's approval.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: Yes
Skills Description: Work with family practice residents and physician assistant students.
Service Learning Included: None