Elective Title: 02SG731 — COLON AND RECTAL SURGERY
During this clinical rotation students will have the opportunity to learn clinical skills for diagnosing Colon and Rectal diseases. Students will learn indications and contraindications for treatment of various colorectal conditions. Students will be expected to perform history taking, physical exam, and differential diagnosis of various colorectal diseases and understand the medical and surgical modalities of treatment. Emphasis will be given on understanding colon cancer screening protocols.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (email@example.com)
Director: Virendra Parikh, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: Parkview Regional Medical Center, Inverness Surgery Center (IUSM - Fort Wayne)
- 1) Diagnose colon and rectal diseases (PC2)
- 2) Recognize indications and contraindications in treatment (PC3)
- 3) Determine methods of treatment (MK5)
- 4) Assist in the OR and follow-up with patients post operatively (PC3)
- 5) Recognize indications and results of colonoscopy and colon cancer screening protocols (MK4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Clinical Observation; Objective Exam)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 30-40 hours per week
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 15% Library/Research; 5% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH Elective primarily offered during November, February and March, the busiest months of the practice. The other months are available at the consent of the course director. All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators.
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None