Elective Title: 02SG721 — CLINICAL CLERKSHIP IN COLORECTAL SURGERY
The Colorectal Surgery elective will expose medical students to surgical and clinical management of benign and malignant colorectal disorders. Students will have the opportunity to observe operative and minimally invasive techniques (including transanal endoscopic microsurgery and robot assist) for managing colon and rectal disease. Students will observe colonoscopies as well as develop clinical skills in outpatient management of anorectal and colorectal disorders.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Nadine Floyd, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: Center for Colon and Rectal Care (Fort Wayne)
- Diagnose, manage, and understand the surgical options for patients with: a) Benign anorectal disorders (MK4)
- b) Colon and rectal cancer (MK4)
- c) Indiactions for colon cancer screening and colonoscopy (PC2)
- d) Functions disorders of the bowel (MK4)
- e) Pelvic floor disorders (MK4)
- f) Inflammatory bowel disease (MK4)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation, case presentation/discussion)
Prerequisites: 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 80% Clinical; 10% Individual Study; 10% Faculty and Group Study
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Sharon Roberts (email@example.com) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators. For Family Medicine electives contact the Fort Wayne Medical Education Program at 260-422-6573. All others contact Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org or 260-481-0224. or Gina Bailey (email@example.com or 260-481-6731..
Third Year Elective? No
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None