Elective Title: 02RT700 — CLINICAL RADIATION ONCOLOGY
One month elective in radiation oncology for third and fourth year medical students. The student will receive broad exposure to the field. They will attend morning multidisciplinary tumor boards and will participate in all clinical activities including the workup of a wide array of cancer patients in the inpatient and outpatient setting, radiation treatment planning, treatment delivery, patient management of side effects under treatment, and follow up. The student will gain an appreciation for the role of radiation therapy in the definitive and palliative setting as well as the different ways radiation can be integrated with surgery and systemic therapy to optimize outcomes. All students will be expected to prepare for patient visits in advance, to interact with the health care team and patients directly, and to present a case conference as part of their learning experience or conduct research. Students will gain an appreciation for the multi-disciplinary aspects of oncology care, and the basic concepts of radiation biology and physics.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Brian Chang, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: IUSM- Fort Wayne
- 1) Obtain a complete and reliable clinical oncology history, with attention to details particularly important in radiation oncology (PC1)
- 2) Perform a focused and reliable oncologic examination in patients with multiple different types of cancers in various stages of presentation (PC2)
- 3) Organize and deliver a clear, concise, and thorough oral presentation of a patient's history and examination (ISC5)
- 4) Describe the role of radiation in the care of oncology patients (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (Clinical Observation, Case presentation).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Completion of Medicine and Surgery Clerkships
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40 hours/week
Time Distribution: 70% Clinical; 20% Library/Research; 10% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None