Elective Title: 02KX701 — PEDIATRICS
The purpose of this elective is to provide the senior student with an opportunity to work closely with a pediatrician in all aspects of inpatient and outpatient care of infants and children as well as experience a busy pediatric office practice. The student will be an active participant in use of diagnostic skills and therapeutic applications. This elective experience will include: 1. Daily rounds in pediatric wards with members of the pediatric staff. 2. Assignment of case workups with responsibility for same. 3. Attendance at regular pediatric conferences. 4. Attendance at autopsy on all pediatric patients. 5. Attendance at Ft. Wayne Pediatric Cardiology Clinics (staffed by Riley Cardiology) and Fort Wayne Pediatric Urology Clinics (staffed by Riley Urology).
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (email@example.com)
Director: James Steigmeyer, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: Fort Wayne Pediatrics, P.C. (Fort Wayne)
Other Faculty: Dr. Adams, Dr. Bollier, Dr. Fuchs, Dr. Gutierrez, Dr. Ligler, Dr. Sauer, Dr. Smith
- 1) Examine infants, children and adolescents presenting to the office of Fort Wayne Pediatrics for health maintenance and illness (PC1)
- 2) Demonstrate to the attending pediatrician a clinically appropriate physical examination (PC1)
- 3) Present to the attending pediatrician an appropriate diagnostic differential and appropriate management plans for each patient examined (PC2)
- 4) Accompany the attending pediatrician on hospital rounds (SBP1)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form; (To determine if the learning objectives of this course have been met, the preceptor will consider the quality of the student's day to day performance through observation of his/her interactions with patients (including histories and physical exams), the student's oral presentations of patients seen and of several brief oral presentations of particular diagnoses and management strategies (five to ten provided by the preceptor throughout the elective) and a longer, more formal presentation of a pediatric topic (chosen by the student) during the final week of the elective).
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Pediatric clerkship must be completed
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 90% Clinical; 5% Lab; 5% Lecture
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
Add/Drop Contact Person: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org) THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators. For Family Medicine electives contact the Fort Wayne Medical Education Program at 260-422-6573. All others contact Sharon Roberts (email@example.com or 260-481-0224. or Gina Bailey (firstname.lastname@example.org or 260-481-6731..
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None