Elective Title: 02KI751 — PEDIATRIC INTENSIVE CARE
This elective is designed to introduce the senior student to the basic principles of pediatric intensive care. Objectives include an understanding of pediatric airway and mechanical ventilation techniques, hemodynamic monitoring and data interpretation, monitoring and treatment of elevated intracranial pressure, and metabolic/nutritional support of the PICU patient. The senior student will take part in the care of patients in the PICU. The student will perform or assist in the varied technical procedures required in this environment including venous access, arterial access, and endotracheal intubation. A wide variety of medical, surgical, and traumatized critically ill patients, from neonates through adolescents will be seen. Call nights with a pediatric intensivist will be arranged. This elective is recommended for students who are planning a career in pediatrics or related pediatric fields.
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Jayesh Patel, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: Lutheran Children's Hospital and Parkview Regional Hospital (Fort Wayne)
Other Faculty: Dr. C. Yalamanchali
- 1) Recognize signs and symptom of cardiopulmonary compromise in the pediatric patient (PC1)
- 2) Develop skills to stabilize acute decompensation in the pediatric patient (PC5)
- 3) Assess a critically ill pediatric patient in a systems oriented approach and develop a plan for management (MK4)
- 4) Explain how to provide comprehensive and supportive care to the PICU patient and his family (SBP1)
- 5) Maintain accurate, timely and legally appropriate medical records on complex and critically ill children (ICS5)
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Direct observation by intensivist faculty)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status; Pediatric, Internal Medicine OR Surgery clerkship must be completed.
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 95% Clinical; 5% Lecture/Seminar
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCHAll Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators. For Family Medicine electives contact the Fort Wayne Medical Education Program at 260-422-6573) All others contact Sharon Roberts (email@example.com or 260-481-0224) or Gina Bailey (firstname.lastname@example.org or 260-481-6731).
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None