Elective Title: 02IA705 — OPHTHALMOLOGY
Patient care (both inpatient and outpatient) in ophthalmic diagnosis and management, operative experience and bedside consultations on inpatients, with follow-up and treatment of outpatient contacts in community ophthalmology practice. Student will screen patients with history taking, vision testing, checking ocular motility and pupils, and perform slit lamp exam while being supervised. The student will be available to see inpatient consults when applicable. The elective is flexible and can be tailored to meet the individual student's objectives. There will be one-on-one interaction with faculty throughout the elective (no residents).
Primary Contact for Add/Drops: Sharon Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Director: Barb Schroeder, M.D.
Campus: Fort Wayne
Location: Northwest Ophthalmology (IUSM - Fort Wayne)
Other Faculty: Jon Walker, M.D.
- 1) Perform a complete eye examination that includes ophthalmic history, visual acuity testing, pupillary examination including checking for afferent pupillary defect, eye movement testing, confrontational visual field testing, using slit-lamp to examine anterior segment of the eye, intraocular pressure measurement with tonopen, fundus examination using direct ophthalmoscope (PC5)
- 2) Describe the pathophysiology of common eye diseases such as diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, cataract and age-related macular degeneration (MK3)
- 3) Explain indications for using of ophthalmic diagnostic tests, such as automated visual field examination, fundus photography and retinal angiography, optical coherent tomogram, and ocular ultrasonography (PC3)
- 4) Describe the management/treatment principals of: Amblyopia detection, prevention and treatment; Glaucoma detection and treatment; Evaluation and treatment of
- Clinical Performance Evaluation Form (Students will be observed by faculty in clinical activities, oral/written case presentations, and discussions of best medical evidence in the literature. Students will be asked to keep a log of interesting patients.)
Prerequisites: 3rd or 4th year status
Availability with Max Students per Month:
Duty Hours: 40-50
Time Distribution: 100% Clinical
Elective Type Category: CP - Clinical Practice
Notes and Enrollment Information:
THIS ELECTIVE DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE INITIAL SENIOR MATCH All Fort Wayne electives must go thru the Fort Wayne campus coordinators.
Third Year Elective? Yes
Interprofessional Skills and Service Learning
Interprofessional Collaborative Skills: None
Service Learning Included: None