Interested in serving as a Physician Mentor (PM)? Mentoring is a great opportunity to become involved with medical learners. PMs will shepherd 4 students through their medical school career providing one-on-one and group mentoring as well as a social connection to IUSM. PMs will work in partnership with professional Lead Academic Advisors (LAs) to oversee a cohort of medical learners. PMs serve as positive medical role models, exploring challenges and seeking solutions with (not for) the learners, and encouraging medical students to strive for excellence.
The primary role of the PM is to provide holistic mentorship to medical students throughout their basic science and clinical years. The PM offers perspective in navigating the field of medicine.
Who can serve as a Physician Mentor?
Any current or former medical provider in the state of Indiana who desires to mentor medical students and has a connection with the IU School of Medicine.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Providing holistic mentorship to 4 students throughout their medical school career.
- Meeting with students at least 2 times a year (additional meetings at the discretion of the advising pair) — ideally, at least one of the meetings should be an individual meeting.
- Connecting students to IUSM through social interactions and being available to students for ongoing inspiration as they progress through their medical school career.
- Inspiring students through reflection of personal experiences and serving as a positive role model for students.
- Referring students to their Lead Academic Advisors for any concerns or issues that arise.
Interested? Please submit the information below.
Note: All fields marked * are required