Events and Conferences
Event and Conference Guidance
Updated March 2023 and in effect until further notice
Participation in live events is a central component of an Indiana University experience. Convocations, conferences, lectures, concerts, athletic events, non-credit and community programs, symposia, and performances create opportunities to share important perspectives, commemorate experiences, find commonalities with others, create meaningful networks between members of our community, and strengthen bonds with our university. Learning, connecting, and finding gratification through these experiences contribute greatly to the academic and mental health of our community.
The following event guidance is provided to inform decisions made by university departments, student organizations, individuals, and external organizations regarding conferences, events, and similar programs.
Events with 50 or more participants must be submitted to the University Event Registration Committee (UERC) for registration and official approval. This requirement applies to all IU sponsored events, regardless of location (both on and off campus).
- Events with 50 or more participants must submit proposals to be reviewed and approved by the University Event Registration Committee (UERC).
- Planners should book only tentative reservations of facilities prior to approval by the University Event Registration Committee (UERC).
- All groups, including student organizations, must request UERC approval for events with 50 or more participants.
- In addition to the UERC submission, student organizations must follow the student event guidelines for their campus.
- Early submission of event requests is highly recommended. Requests should be submitted no less than 10 working days prior to the event.
Guiding Principles for Events
- The safety of attendees and event staff will drive all in-person event decisions, and events must comply with current guidance of local governments, and university policy.
- An emergency action plan should be developed and submitted as a part of the Safety Plan with the initial request.
Event organizers can apply for event approval of the UERC by submitting answers to the basic event information questions included on the form and uploading a specific event plan that address Guiding Principles and Event Considerations, and a proposed floor plan of the event space. This information will be reviewed by the UERC, comprised of university public safety and event management officials. The event organizer will be notified of the determination within 10 days of submission.
Event review request
Programs with 50 or more participants, both those hosted on university property and off site, will require review by the University Event Registration Committee (UERC).