Reports: Special

FYIU

IU Campus Cross-Applicants, November 2007 (FYIU 07-4)

This issue of FYIU focuses on current trends in cross-applications at IU campuses. In this report, cross-applicants are state residents who apply to more than one IU campus in a given semester for admission as first-time students. This issue covers applications for admission to the fall semester of academic years 2002-03 through 2007-08.

Among the important findings in this report:

  • Over the past six years, cross-applicants increased both in number and as a percentage of all resident beginner applicants. The number of cross-applicants increased by 71 percent between 2002 and 2007, from 1,462 to 2,499. As a percentage of all resident applicants, cross-applicants increased from 9 percent in 2002 to 13 percent in 2007.

  • The most common form of cross-application behavior is between IU Bloomington and IUPUI, accounting for 59 percent of all cross-applications among IU campuses. There is considerable overlap (62 percent) in the number of cross-applicants who are admitted to both campuses, but IUPUI enrolls a slightly higher percentage (34 percent) of these cross-admits than IU Bloomington (32 percent). Roughly one-third (34 percent) of all cross-applicants who are admitted to both IU Bloomington and IUPUI do not enroll at either campus.

  • Almost all cross-application behavior involves either IU Bloomington or IUPUI, accounting for 99 percent of all cross-applications among IU campuses. The remaining 1 percent of cross-applications occurs among the regional campuses and IUPU Columbus only. Two cross-application patterns among these campuses—IUPU Columbus with IU Southeast, and IU Northwest with IU South Bend—are small, yet sizable enough to be documented in this report.

  • With one exception, more cross-applicants at the regional campuses (including IUPU Columbus) send applications to IU Bloomington, followed by IUPUI. The exception is IU Kokomo, from which more cross-applicants send applications to IUPUI, followed by IU Bloomington.

Download Report

IU Campus Cross-Applicants by Campus

Please note: The following reports are in PDF format.