INTERVIEW SUGGESTIONS AND QUESTIONS
Section I: Interview Orientation
- Describe the position. Review the job description, give a general description of the job, and describe the goals of (this position) and where this position fits in.
- Explain the hierarchy and organizational structure of UITS. Describe how (your team) fits into the UITS organization.
- Explain the role of (your team) at the University and the position's relationship to IU personnel.
- Start the interview session off by putting the individual at ease by giving them general information about yourself, the department and the specific position do the talking first maybe try to find a common interest then ask them to tell you about themselves start into the formal interview.
- Start by saying something like: We are looking for someone that is proactive, team player, safety minded and professional. The individual should provide an overview of their work history and how it has developed, and explain their current duties and responsibilities.
Section II: Interview Questions
Job Related Questions:
- Why do you want to leave your current position? - if applicable
- How does your previous experience qualify you for this job?
- How many people have you supervised/managed?
- What are the qualities of a good manager?
- What are your long-term goals?
- How do you deal with the difficult customers/employees?
- Have you prepared written proposals/recommendations/budgets for senior management? - if applicable
- How do you manage individuals that were previously peers?
- Where do you see the (specific) technology heading - like telephony technology?
- Do you have hands-on technical experience?
- What did you do in your previous job?
- Why did you leave that job?
- Please describe your progression during your years in your current position?
- Have you interviewed for other management positions recently?
- What were your responsibilities in managing the (specific area) in your previous or (another position)? - You may want to go back a position.
- What kind of training did you receive in your previous position?
- What training have you had related to this area? - name the area in question
- Do you have "people' management experience?
- Can you handle and track multiple projects?
- What is your experience dealing with major vendors/contractors?
General Professional Experience Questions:
- Tell us about your work experience which relates to this position. What did you like the most about your previous jobs, and what you didn't like?
- What do you think have been your greatest accomplishments in your previous jobs?
- Tell us about any supervisory, managerial and/or mentoring experience you have had
- What is your experience in making proposals and /or creating new initiatives?
- What experience do you have in evaluating the success of a project of the success of ongoing programs? Do you have any statistical experience?
- What experience do you have in working with others on projects? Do you prefer to collaborate with others or to work mostly by yourself?
- Tell us about your familiarity with different application programs and different hardware. Give us some specific examples of advanced technical skills you have.
- What are your greatest strengths?
- What are greatest weaknesses?
- What's your knowledge of how UITS works?
- What is your background in dealing with various IU personnel, specifically administrative support staff, professional staff, faculty and students?
- Why Indiana? Good questionespecially when we have PurdueIUPUI
- Have you taken any classes at IUPUI? IU? PURDUE?
Self Evaluation Questions:
- Suppose you are working on a project and you discover a significant mistake in the process or the materials. How would you handle the situation?
- Describe a stressful situation you have encountered in a previous job and tell us how you handled the stress. What did you learn from the experience?
- How do you handle stress in general?
- Where and how do you need to grow in your professional life?
- How would you describe yourself? What motivates you?
- What management style do you prefer?
- What kind of people do you enjoy working with? What kind of people do you find hard to work with?
- Why do you want this position?
- What are your greatest work-related strengths?
- What are your greatest work-related weaknesses?
- What would you improve if you could?
- Why do you think you are well suited for this position?
- What strengths do you believe you can bring to this team?
- If we hire you, how long can you commit for?
- Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?
- Who is the person you most admire?
- If you weren't doing this job, what would you like to be doing?
- What questions do you have for us?
Finish the interview process by letting the individual know the "due process" and giving them some time frame as to when you will be contacting them again.