Travel Updates & Common Issues Associated with Travel Reimbursement
To better assist IU travelers, TMS implemented an electronic call routing system to facilitate improved customer service and expedited responses. Callers to the main Travel service line (812-855-2873) will be presented with menu options that will help connect each call to the Travel representative best suited to provide assistance in that area. This will decrease the likelihood of additional transfers and increase the opportunity for immediate answers to your travel questions and concerns.
Travel reimbursement requests should be submitted ASAP or within the 60-day deadline (when it becomes a taxable income). As a one-time courtesy to you, a written appeal may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining the reason for the late submission. Requests past the 120-day deadline will not be reimbursed.
Below is a list of the most common issues associated with travel reimbursements. Please take time to read these to ensure smooth processing of your request.
- No mileage — Campus to campus mileage reimbursement is automatically populated when you hit the REFRESH button; Or enter the actual mileage, SAVE, hit the EDIT button next to DESTINATION and then SUBMIT. These two "tricks" will repopulate the mileage box and ensure that you will get reimbursed for your mileage claim.
- Per Diem not paid due to absence of proof of lodging — Whether lodging was booked on hotels.com (paid on IU card) or paid on the traveler's personal credit card, a hotel reservation confirmation or an actual hotel receipt must be submitted to TMS as Proof of Lodging. This supporting document is a requirement to calculate the Per Diem.
- Incidental/Other charges — Only room charges and accompanying taxes should be claimed under Lodging. When Parking and Internet charges are included on the hotel receipt, these incidental expenses must be claimed under a separate category such as PARKING or OTHERS.
- Insurance — Travelers are covered by the University’s insurance while on business travel therefore additional insurance is not needed (not reimbursable) except for travels in Mexico, Ireland and Puerto Rico.
- No ACRONYMS — The purpose of the trip is an audit requirement therefore should be described briefly. Acronyms are not acceptable. If a group of letters is not an acronym but a proper noun, add a note on the comment box.
- Prepayment Requests (for registration/conference fees) — When requesting a prepayment for a registration fee, a copy of the registration confirmation or invoice showing the vendor's address and amount must be received by TMS before the trip authorization ID number is approved/generated. Also, conference and registration fees may be paid on a procurement card when immediate payment is necessary.
- Shared Lodging Expenses — If you shared lodging with another traveler, a copy of the lodging receipt must be provided by the non-paying traveler to TMS as Proof of Lodging. Reference the name and trip ID number of the paying traveler on the comment box. In cases where you stayed with family or friends, you must fill out the Exception to Policy box and provide the name, address and phone number of your host. This will serve as your proof of lodging.
- Supplement —A supplement may be submitted for additional claims not included or approved on your initial request. Scroll down to the additional expense, choose ADD, enter the amount and specify the number of receipts. In cases where the receipts were already submitted with your initial request, add a note in the comment box and reference the document or trip ID number of the same.
- Personal Time Off — Combining personal and business travel is acceptable when the PTO occurs either before, in the middle or after the business trip but not a combination of these three periods. When submitting the reimbursement request, check "Yes" to the PTO option and choose/specify dates of personal days taken.
- Flying vs. Driving — If you prefer to drive or take the train to your destination, TMS will reimburse the mileage equivalent to the airfare quoted at the same time you make your travel arrangements. Fill out the Exception to Policy box and provide a screen print of two airline quotes with the same dates and destination.