Breastfeeding Coverage and Support
Breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling are covered as preventive care with no member cost.
Breastfeeding Medical Benefits
One breast pump is covered by each IU-sponsored medical plan at no cost for female members any time during their pregnancy or following delivery, when purchased from in-network providers.
Steps to obtain a qualified breast pump:
- Obtain a prescription from an OBGYN for the breast pump
- Purchase a pump through a local in-network Durable Medical Equipment (or DME) provider, or
- Purchase a pump through an online in-network DME provider
Indiana University is committed to supporting breast feeding moms as they return to work. Talk with your supervisor or Human Resources to discuss a plan for breast pumping when you return, including using Privacy Rooms for Nursing Mothers or Lactation Rooms on campus, or making alternative arrangements for spaces and times you need to pump.
- Privacy rooms at IU Bloomington
- Lactation support at IUPUI
- Breastfeeding room at IU East
- Breastfeeding room at IU Kokomo
- Nursing Mothers’ room at IU Northwest
- Breastfeeding rooms at IU South Bend
- Nursing Mothers’ room at IU Southeast
- Lactation Room at IUPUC
Outside the University