Position Actions and Instructions
Management is responsible for structuring the duties and responsibilities assigned to positions and providing Staff with a current position description. Staff should consult with their supervisor if they have questions about their duties and responsibilities or position description. When management determines there is a need to significantly change duties and responsibilities or make another type of change to a position, the RC should submit a position E-doc, with supporting documentation, to the IU Human Resources office (UHR) for review, following the RC review and approval process.
Once UHR has received complete documentation, the position review process begins. This documentation includes a fully-routed E-doc, complete Position Description, and organizational chart (if applicable). Generally, the position review will be completed and the E-doc processed within ten business days of receipt of complete information. New and vacant position reviews (NEW and PRV E-docs) are given priority in order to expedite the hiring process.
Choose one of the following E-docs:
- New Position Request (NEW) Instructions | video tutorial
- Use when creating a new position. An HRMS position number will be assigned when the E-doc is saved in HRMS.
- Position Classification Review Request (PRV) Instructions | video tutorial (MP4)
- Use when the duties assigned to a position (vacant or occupied) have significantly changed and the position is being submitted to UHR for a review of the position’s classification. Also use when the duties of a position, while continuing to support the current classification level, have changed and may better fit a different job.
- Update Request (UPD) Instructions
| video tutorial (MP4)
- Use when requesting an update to a position (vacant or occupied) where the position remains appropriately classified, e.g., changes to FTE, title, reports to, and duties and responsibilities.
- Reorganization Request (REO) Instructions
- Use when requesting that a position (vacant or occupied) be reorganized from one department to another on the same campus. This is a result of the position physically moving into a new department with new reporting lines. The system does not allow for the reorganization of a position from one campus to another. Contact UHR for instructions. Note: The new department is responsible for initiating the REO E-doc.
- Inactivate Request (INA) Instructions
- Use when requesting that a position be inactivated (frozen, deleted, temporarily inactivated) from the system because the position is no longer funded or needed or is the result of a Reduction in Force (RIF).
- Activation Request (ACT) Instructions
- Use when requesting that a Temporarily Inactive Positon (only) be activated for reuse or to Inactivate to delete the position permanently.
- 10-month Request (10P) Instructions (PDF)