University Human Resources
Part IV: General Rules
Lockout and Tagout
OSHA citation 1910.147
- Each maintenance employee shall be assigned a numbered padlock of their own (furnished by their department) and shall be responsible for its care and custody.
- Each affected employee shall be given a lockable hasp, capable of being locked by six padlocks, and shall be responsible for it.
- Each maintenance employee will be furnished lockout-tagout tags to be used if necessary.
- All electric circuits and mechanical equipment will be locked out of service when any maintenance work or testing is being performed.
- If you must shut off a component with a fire protection or other life safety system on it, you must, before turning it off, inform the Control Center (5-8728), the IU Police Department (5-4111) and the building manager, unless it is an emergency shut-off. In that case notification immediately after the shut-off is sufficient. The building manager needs time to notify occupants. Be considerate of all occupants.