University Human Resources
Part IV: General Rules
OSHA citation 1910.21-32, 1910.35-40
- Keep your work area clean and orderly. Report conditions beyond your control to the proper supervisor.
- Do not obstruct stairways, aisles or passageways. Keep to the right and avoid running on stairways. Keep equipment rooms clear at all times and do not use them as storage areas.
- Dispose of flammable and combustible scrap materials in approved containers. Discard all greasy or oily rags properly through Environmental Health and Safety.
- Keep all floor surfaces clean and dry. Be sure to put up “Caution” or “Wet Floor” signs as needed. Remove signs as soon as floors are dry.
- Keep aisles clear and pay attention to any tripping hazards.
- Use gloves when handling broken glass or china. Have a separate trash receptacle marked “For broken glass and china only.” Discard all cracked and broken items immediately. Use a pan and broom to sweep up the large pieces of broken glass or china. Dampen a paper towel to pick up slivers. If you suspect that there is a broken glass in soapy water, drain the water.
Next: Trash Disposal