University Human Resources
Part III: Personal Protection
OSHA citation 1910.133
- Eye protection is required for certain jobs and areas of work. It is the employee’s responsibility to use and the supervisor’s responsibility to provide eye protection as required for the job being performed.
- All employees exposed to such hazards as flying objects or particles of dirt, dust, wind, molten metal, gases, fumes, smoke, liquids, reflected light or glare in their normal work areas will be provided with appropriate eye protection, shields or goggles. Supervisors may designate jobs requiring eye protection.
- An eyewash and deluge shower is required where chemical splashes are possible.
- Foreign objects should be removed from an employee’s eye only by a person qualified to give such treatment. Report incident as required.
- Eye protection equipment and prescription eye glasses are available through your department. Various tasks require different eye protection, eye goggles or glasses. The National Society for the Prevention of Blindness recommends not wearing contact lenses in certain situations; if you wear contact lenses, ask your doctor for instructions.
Next: Fire Prevention & Safety