Home > Employee Relations > Separations > How to Process a Separation

How to Process a Separation

  1. When processing a termination in HRMS the action reason must be indicated on the E-Doc with an explanation of the reason for the separation added to the "Notes" section of the E-Doc. For assistance in determining the action reason, see the document, "Termination/Separation Reasons."
  2. For Temporary employees:
    1. If a Temporary employee has not worked any hours for 6 consecutive bi-weekly pay periods, that department is to terminate the employee from their temporary jobs.
    2. If it is known or expected that a Temporary employee who has stopped working for a department will not return to work in that department within six months, the department is to terminate the Temporary employee immediately from their temporary jobs.
  3. The effective date of a separation is the day after the last day worked on the job except in the following circumstances. In the following cases, the effective date of separation is the day after the end of these events:
    1. an unpaid leave of absence for any reason
    2. a Family and Medical Leave of Absence (FMLA) with or without pay
    3. an absence caused by an injury on the job
    4. use of income protection time
    5. removal from work pending a decision to separate
    6. required use of vacation time or PTO during the notice period
    7. approved use of accrued time off during a voluntary separation
  4. If an employee dies, the effective date of separation is the day after the death, whether the employee was working, using paid-time-off benefits, on leave, or absent without pay on the day of death.
  5. Process a payroll adjustment voucher for payment to the employee of all terminal pay (includes accrued time-off, hours worked in final pay period, etc.). Contact the campus Payroll office for assistance.
  6. Include the employee's permanent forwarding address
  7. All payments for unused accruals should be processed with the last regular payroll cycle. See the following exception
    1. Upon request, staff who have been involuntarily separated may receive unpaid wages within three workdays of the request to a supervisor. Departments should contact the campus payroll office to arrange payment. A special voucher must be sent to Payroll within one workday of the employee's request and Payroll must make payment to the employee within two workdays of receipt of the voucher. Instruct the employee to contact the campus Human Resources office concerning the status and continuation of employee benefit plans.
  8. For PAE employees, within the separation e-doc, verify and include a note indicating that the employee’s ePTO calendar has been updated through their separation date.
  9. The supervisor should ensure that the employee returns all university property (keys, uniforms, tools, records, books, etc.).